Labels

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tamari Spicy Noodles





My favourite cuisine is the Asian kitchen. Whether it's Vietnamese, Indian, Thai, Japanese or Chinese, I love their use of fresh herbs and stir fried vegetables. There's nothing I hate more than overcooked vegetables. They loose their taste, their colour and more importantly, their vitamins. Most of the time, the Asian cuisine is quick, easy and extremely tasteful. It is vegetarian and vegan heaven too. Although a lot of Asians love their meat, fish, insects, snakes and even spiders, the possibilities to cook without having to kill your meal first or having to milk a goat are endless.

You really don't need a recipe either. The simplest meals are the best.

But... this wouldn't be a recipe blog without recipes.

So here I'll give you the recipe for a quick but lovely simple noodle dish. As with most of my stir fry recipes, I use vegetables that I like, in the quantity that suits me. Feel absolutely free to use what you want and the quantity you want. If you don't like snow peas but love broccoli, use that. Just take into account that some vegetables need to be stir fried longer than others.

Kitchen utensils

  • pan
  • wok
  • sharp knife
  • grater
  • wooden spoon
Ingredients

  • garlic (to make things easier, I used jarred garlic paste)
  • chopped onion
  • grated ginger
  • chili pepper (again, to make things easier, I used the condiment sambal)
  • fresh cilantro (which I cut with a scissors I use only for food, easy peasy)
  • noodles (I used thick Chinese wheat noodles)
  • tofu (I used spicy tofu cubes that you can buy in most stores these days)
  • red bell pepper (cut in pieces)
  • shiitakes
  • snow peas (LOVE them, I cut them in half)
  • scallions (cut in half an inch/one centimeter long pieces)
  • tamari soy sauce (you can use others, this one is Japanese)
  • oil (I use rice bran... don't use olive oil. Stir frying is too hot for olive oil and the taste of olive oil is quite strong and doesn't suit stir fries in my opinion. You can use sunflower oil or sesame oil if you like the taste)
Cook noodles as indicated on pack. Heat oil in wok. Throw in chopped onion, grated ginger, garlic and chili peppers (sambal). Stir fry until onion and ginger are soft. Throw in shiitakes, bell pepper and snow peas. Stir fry until vegetables are almost done (it needs to be crunchy, I'd do about five minutes). Throw in the scallions and a bit of tamari soy sauce. Stir for some more minutes. I use one table spoon for two servings. Stir in the fresh cilantro and noodles and stir until cilantro is warmed up a bit. This should take a few seconds, if you heat it up too long it will lose it's lovely taste. Turn off heat and bon appetite...

The key with this recipe is to keep the vegetables crispy. Crispy, but warm and not too raw.


No comments:

Post a Comment